Thursday, July 03, 2008

When It Rains, It Pours

In a near repeat of a similar event two years ago, heavy thunderstorms pounded the Toledo area again and again last night and this morning. The weather station recorded a storm total of 4.10" of rain which is less rain over a longer period than the 2006 storm, but for some reason the basement flooding situation here has been far worse. I'm not sure if it's because of already saturated ground or what, but I've been fighting a torrent of water flowing into my sump pit for over 12 hours now. It's coming in faster than I've ever seen, and it's coming in with such force that it's impacting the pump itself, not allowing it to shut off. I have wedged some pieces of 2x4 in the pit to divert the flow away from the pump, allowing it to shut off for around 3 seconds per cycle. Not ideal by any stretch but better than the pump continuously running.

I haven't been out yet today but I imagine others in my addition and elsewhere are suffering more than I am. I have a top-of-the-line pump and if it can't keep up, I'd imagine my neighbors with the default pump are flooding. I do have to go out this afternoon, and it's definitely Jeep weather. I'm not sure of the road flooding situation, but I will try to get as much info as I can before I leave.

No comments: