Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Updates on Monday's Weather

The National Weather Service in Northern Indiana has completed a few important surveys of the severe weather event that struck the area Monday. First they determined that there was no tornado in Van Wert County...all damage there was the result of straight line winds. Also the extreme wind gusts of 99 mph in Van Wert County and 117 mph in Lyons were erroneous because the measurements were in kph and not mph, meaning the true wind gusts were 62 mph and 73 mph, respectively. There was a ham radio report Monday night of a possible tornado in Springfield Township, but it appears that was never verified.

There are a few updates to this site as well. On the right side of the page below the current weather conditions and the severe weather outlooks are audio links to the local NOAA Weather Radio broadcasts. These are live streaming mp3 files (hosted at www.wunderground.com) that will play in Windows Media Player, Winamp, or whatever multimedia player you use.

Also, I have preliminarily established that my proposed weather website will be an offshoot of the Lucas County Choppers site and will be located at wx.lcchoppers.com. There are a few reasons for this...one, weather is a crucial consideration for motorcycling, so it makes sense, and two, it gives me a convenient home to get my feet wet and get a small site established. I still need to decide on my weather station software, and then I plan on reformatting my desktop computer and turning it into a semi-dedicated weather server...so it will still be some time before things are up and running.

2 comments:

PITABOT said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
PITABOT said...

I use Virtual Weather Station v14.0

I am having a slight problem with it, they are working on it now- it forgets monthly rainfall, but they should have the patch out shortly.

Other than that, it's fairly decent and holds up well- VERY STABLE compared to some of the other packages I used in the past.

Let me know what you are looking at and I'll toss them up on my site so you can monitor the stability. I'm taking an old laptop to dedicate to the WxS.

Tony
www.mtiadata.com/weather
www.mtiadata.com/weather/wx.html