Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A Few Days of Wild Weather

This past week has seen three distinct instances of severe weather throughout Northwest Ohio. The first event was Friday night when a fast-moving (75 mph!) line of storms blasted through around 9:00 pm. I happened to be working in the airport control tower at the time and witnessed the highest wind gust of my career so far (51 kts, close to 60 mph) which caused widespread blowing dust and debris, transformer explosions in every direction, and power outages all around the airport. The windows and floor of the tower were moving. Interestingly there was almost no rain with this line as it was in a rapid dissipation stage. My weather station at home recorded a gust of 48 mph from this storm, but very little rainfall (.08").

The second event was Sunday afternoon, when my home caught the southern end of a line of storms that was mainly in Michigan. There was a lot of lightning and around .25" of rain, but not much wind.

The big one was Monday evening. I fared pretty well here at my house, with a 45 mph maximum wind gust and no damage, but damage was widespread throughout Northwest Ohio. In Lyons (around 15 miles west of me) a Davis weather station like the one I own recorded a 117 mph wind gust. There are trees down all over the region. High winds derailed a freight train east of Toledo. There was a possible tornado touchdown in tornado-magnet Van Wert County, along with much damage near Fremont, OH. Between that storm and another series of storms early Tuesday morning I received 1.5" of rain.

There will be a break in the action Wednesday and Thursday with another chance of storms Friday.

No comments: