Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Another New Toy: GPS

Tonight I bought a Garmin StreetPilot c530 GPS unit, after having found it for an unbeatable price at Office Depot earlier in the day. This unit, which reportedly cost around $500 earlier in the year, was $180 after rebate. The maps appear to be very good...there are some points of interest that are out of date, but they are 2006 maps (I can upgrade to a 2008 edition for $70...might be worthwhile before next year's vacations). The feature set is pretty sweet, and best of all I was able to download a Jeep Wrangler for my vehicle icon!

What I don't like about it is that it didn't come with computer software that allows me to plan my own route. That software costs $120 and might unfortunately become a necessity since I often like to choose routes that differ from the shortest or fastest ones (like least traffic, or fewest left turns).

Even without the newest maps and without software, this was still a steal, since I would have had to buy those upgrades with any other Garmin unit anyway. For reference, a refurbished c530 from Tiger Direct is $220, so I'm happy regardless of the limitations.

At the same time I also picked up my new office chair. It's brown leather and will look fantastic in my office once I get the room refreshed. It's also insanely comfortable.

No comments: