Tuesday, September 25, 2007

ORDERED: 2008 Jeep Wrangler

The second shoe has dropped in my car-buying adventure, so to speak. Soon, I will be the proud owner of a brand new, two-door Jeep Wrangler. This afternoon I placed the order. Here's the rundown:

2008 Jeep Wrangler "X", two-door (full doors) - "24S" Pkg
Black, with black Sunrider removable soft top
Dark grey interior, cloth seats
4-spd auto transmission
4x4 (obviously), solid axles (Dana 30 front, Dana 44 rear)

Options:
17x7.5" wheels, 255/75R17 (32") tires
6 Infinity speakers w/ sub
Fog lights/front tow hooks
Trailer tow pkg with 2" receiver
Seat mounted side air bags

Planned mods/accessories:
Firestone Destination AT or Bridgestone Dueler A/T tires
Bestop Flexatrunk
On-board window carrier
Safari top conversion
Cab cover
Hitch-mount bike rack
Rollbar mount for XM antenna
Rock rails
Partial de-badging

The Wrangler will replace the 2003 Liberty. The quote I got today was exactly in line with what I had expected and planned for -- the Liberty trade-in knocks exactly half off the price of the Wrangler...I haven't decided yet whether to finance or pay cash on the balance.

So going back through my last two years or so of trying to figure out what to do car-wise, I fell like I've come out a winner here. I made the right call going with two vehicles. I have a very nice low mileage used car which I really like, and now I'll have a brand new Jeep.

Originally of course I planned on the Jeep being used as well, but several factors went into the Jeep becoming a new one. First, nothing holds resale value like a Jeep Wrangler. I don't know why, but it's true. A used 2005 or 2006 Wrangler with 30,000+ miles would have only been at best $5000 less than what I just bought. For that extra, I get a brand new vehicle that hasn't been thrashed on and messed with and is all mine, the new design with all it's fantastic new features (electronic stability, traction control, more cargo space, etc.), and the lifetime power train warranty. No brainer there.

I'm expecting my new Jeep to arrive sometime in November before Thanksgiving, although it isn't outside the realm of possibility that it might get bumped to January or later. The only shame is they can't just haul it down the street a few miles from the factory and drop it off in my driveway. :-)

No comments: