Wednesday, July 04, 2007

JK Wranglers Recalled/Final Car Decision

It was bound to happen before too long. The "fix" is a re-flash of the Totally Integrated Power Module -- supposedly a software version which was installed on some 80,000+ Wranglers and Dodge Nitros was buggy. Hopefully this is truly the fix that JK owners have been clamoring for. If so, it's yet another first-year-of-the-model glitch that won't be showing up on the 2008 models.

Speaking of the 2008 models...I've made a decision, and I believe it's my final decision. There won't be any more waffling back and forth between, "do I get two vehicles or stick with one", or the like. I said back in March that I absolutely would not own a 2007 Wrangler because they were so buggy...and that remains true...I won't own a 2007 Wrangler.

At the time, I shifted my plans toward buying two used cars...and that was the plan through last week, but my experience testing that Sebring (which was not a nice car at all) led me to a few realizations:
  1. With overall cost, tax, insurance, and maintenance, going the two car route will never be the more economical route. The only real advantage to going that route would be to have a second vehicle with better fuel economy in case of a gas shortage...something that cannot be predicted with any certainty (remember, "experts" thought gas would be $4.00/gal today...it's $2.79/gal here).
  2. I will have a difficult time being happy with a used car. Most people aren't as meticulous and downright car-crazy as I am...and I don't think I'll find anything "perfect" enough for me.
  3. The auctions aren't producing the great deals I hoped for...it's possible I was just extraordinarily lucky when we found my Liberty.
A few other things also have happened: I've warmed up to the look of the 4-door Wrangler, and I've become more accepting toward the additional cost of the 4-door over the 2-door. After 65 years of the classic CJ/Wrangler design, it took me a while to get used to the look of a 4-door stretch, but after having seen more and more of them in person, they're not that bad...they actually look really cool with the top down. And they are the automotive equivalent to a Swiss Army knife...it will do anything, except deliver good fuel mileage.

Between my acceptance of the design, the elimination of most of the first-year bugs, and the pitfalls of the two-car strategy, it's settled: I'm buying a brand-spanking-new 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, ordered to my specifications. Soon too, this month for sure. The only problem is I won't be getting it soon. Demand is so high that many who ordered 2007s have had their build pushed back to a 2008...so I'll have to get in a long line. I won't be getting the thing until sometime between Labor Day and Christmas, most likely. It should be sweet, though. I'll have more on colors and options once I place the order.

No comments: