Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Another Jeep Delay -- This One Not So Slight

It's going to be a while yet before I get a new Jeep. Unfortunately, an almost unbelievable array of problems have arisen with the new model, some so severe that there is no way I'll buy one until they're resolved. I might have to wait until the '08s come out, if not longer.

The most unacceptable problem is one that causes the vehicle to simply shut off for at least 2 seconds, sometimes 10 seconds, sometimes permanently. The engine stalls, all the electrical components shut off, and you're dead in the water...and it doesn't matter how fast you're going, what gear you're in, or what you're doing. It's completely random...but it has happened to so many different JK owners so far that the chances of it happening to me would be very high. It's a very widespread problem that I believe rests in the power control module.

A recall of all 2007 models to fix this issue is expected, but apparently DCX isn't able to identify the specific problem yet. I think this issue is extremely serious because it is already known to have caused minor fender-benders and close calls, and has the potential to cause a devastating accident. I don't need a new Jeep that bad.

There are other annoying quality control problems that are creeping up...weird electrical glitches, loose exterior parts, an interior that scratches easily, etc. Now it is very common for problems like this to exist with the first year of a new model, and it is also very common for a slew of fixes to come to the second year of a new model. My current Jeep is the second year of what was then a new model, and it has been all but bulletproof. The first year Liberties had their problems, too. I have high hopes that the 2008 Wranglers will have similar improvements. But unless some fixes and recalls are announced soon, I won't be buying a 2007 Wrangler. I'll either wait to see if the 2008s are vastly improved, or do something different altogether (i.e. Jeep TJs don't stall).

Regardless, I'm glad that I decided to read a lot of owner comments before I made a final decision to order; it probably saved me some grief and heartache.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great blog! Well is really a bit annoying then car's are having a trouble. There are lots of thing to check. A year ago I've also experienced problems with my jeep. It won't start. It turns out that I have no ignition spark, my jeep ignition coil is bad and needs replacement. Having experienced that kind of prob, I see to it that I have it checked and tune up regularly. Its quite expensive when car parts failed.