Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Weather Station Received

UPS delivered the Weather Station today. It's a nice, high-quality piece of equipment. I'm very impressed with design of both the instruments and the display console. The entire thing won't be very difficult to install once the post is planted in the ground and leveled.

That all having been said, I'm disappointed in that I don't think my data will be of much value outside of my own curiosity. The anemometer (wind indicator) will be next to useless, I'm afraid. I'm not allowed by association covenants to mount the thing where it needs to be in order to get accurate readings. If I place the anemometer where I'm planning on placing the rain and temperature instruments, it will not register east, northeast, and southeast winds. If I place the anemometer up a little bit on the back of the house, it probably wouldn't help much. It needs to be on the peak of the roof to come close, and I can't do that. Unfortunately, inaccurate wind readings will negatively affect other weather station products, like wind chill and the forecast.

I might be installing it tomorrow...my dad and I both have the day off, and the weather will be favorable. But, there is so much left up in the air with exactly where I'm going to place everything that I may want to wait and figure out how to get it right first instead of rushing it. It will require some research and a little creativity.

UPDATE:

The station will be going up tomorrow. I'm still undecided as I write this as to where it will go, but my dad and I will decide that quickly tomorrow. If it goes out at the edge of my property, I'll be mounting it on a 1 1/2" pipe. If I place it next to my patio, I'll be mounting it on a treated 4x4. I'm hoping someday to have a better placement for the anemometer than I'll have tomorrow. I'll have pictures up tomorrow or Friday.

No comments: