Saturday, January 13, 2007

Best $6.20 I've Ever Spent

Today I received my two 5-foot optical cables for my home theater, which allowed me to enable Dolby Digital and DTS. The improvement in sound quality is phenomenal! I hooked one cable up to my digital cable box and the other to my DVD player. For test purposes (I wouldn't watch it normally), I turned on an NBA basketball game on ESPN-HD. The sound was amazing! The announcers voices were coming out of the center speaker, and the ambient sounds like the arena announcer, crowd noise, and the squeaks of players' shoes were coming from the surround speakers...creating an incredible room-filling atmosphere. To test the DVD player I watched the beginning of Star Wars Episode III. It was simply incredible.

I had no idea how much difference digital connections, and the enabling of Dolby Digital, would make over the analog Pro Logic IIx that my system was running initially...but it was stunning. I switched back and forth between my digital connections and the analog ones just to hear the difference, to make sure I wasn't just hearing things. I can't imagine how good it will be once I get the speakers positioned correctly at the appropriate height.

No comments: