Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Storm Cycle: Day 1 - Getting To Know You

Location: Basement Trainer (simulated Flatlands)
Resistance: Minimal
Gear: 6 (out of 21)
Elapsed Time: The entire first period of the Senators-Red Wings Game (approx. 35 minutes)
Speed, Cadence, and Distance: unknown (cycle computer arriving later this week)

This was definitely a beginners session. I took it pretty easy overall, as i rode in a relatively low gear with the lowest resistance setting on the trainer. It certainly helped having the hockey game on in front of me as it distracted me from the hard work.

I'm definitely going to hurt tomorrow morning. About 10 minutes into the ride my knees were killing me, but that only lasted a couple of minutes. By the end of the ride I had a nice burn in my calves, quads, and hamstrings, and I had a decent but not spectacular sweat going. I felt like I could keep going for some time longer, but I didn't want to overdo it the first time out.

If nothing else this first ride showed me just how doable this is. It's really good exercise and if I keep to a schedule I should begin to get in better shape rather quickly.

No comments: