Monday, October 02, 2006

Wait and See (and wait...and wait...)

Yesterday I got my first opportunity to sit in a 2007 Jeep Wrangler. The local Jeep dealership has four of the new 4-door Unlimited models on the lot, and they forgot to lock the one up by the front of the building. Proving that Jeep is a cultural phenomenon in Toledo, people were all over the new trucks, checking them out on a Sunday without the threat of being attacked by a salesman. Everybody was respectful toward the unlocked Jeep...I think I was the only one who sat in it during the time I was there.

I'm a big fan of the Liberty and how it sits, and the new Wrangler feels just as good if not better. I love it. Everything feels right from the drivers seat, and the outside visibility is excellent (and this is on the 4-door...the 2-door should have even better visibility).

So what's the hold up? Well like I posted earlier, gas mileage is a big concern. There are some real world numbers coming in from 4-door owners that are promising, though, and I would figure that 2-door mileage would be better. If the mileage is no worse than the Liberty it will be considered.

The other problem is...things aren't so hot at work right now, and neither is my job security. I'm not in danger of being fired...but I am in danger of being shipped to points unknown on short notice at the whim of the FAA...I'm also in danger of getting my pay cut with no notice. I'm not going to get in to the whole FAA imposed work rules here, but to make a long story short, the FAA is treating us worse than the proverbial mushroom, and I'm afraid to do anything other than save money right now.

I'm hopeful that by next spring the situation at work will have stabilized, and we will have some positive real world gas mileage numbers on the 07 Wrangler (or, gas at $1.50/gal)...those are the requirements for me to buy one.

No comments: