Thursday, June 26, 2008

New Weather Website

My weather website that is being run in conjunction with Lucas County Choppers, LCC Weather Net, is live in a pre-launch form at wx.lcchoppers.com. This is certainly not the final version of this site; I hope to add a lot more functionality to it as I become more capable in writing PHP scripts and adapting them to the site. However, this draft version is functional, which is whats important.

I had some serious trouble with Weather Display, the shareware weather software I was testing. I had a power outage during a heavy rainfall when I was at work, and I wasn't able to get the data upload restored until around 5 hours later. When I restarted the program, instead of downloading the actual rainfall data it averaged the rainfall rates from when the power went out down to zero over the five hour span, giving me a total of around 1" more than actual. It screwed up both my Weather Display and Weather Underground data, which didn't make me very happy. So I've abandoned Weather Display (which would have cost $73 to register) and am now planning on using Virtual Weather Station, which will cost a tiny bit more to register but is more stable.

No comments: