Friday, April 18, 2008

Earthquakes!

This morning a 5.2 magnitude main shock and 4.5 (prelim.) magnitude aftershock have rattled the Midwest. The main shock came at 5:37 AM and started my morning quite prematurely. I was asleep in my upstairs bedroom at my parents' house in Fort Wayne when the shaking woke me up. I knew immediately it was an earthquake, and I turned the news/talk radio station on to find out where it was centered. Given the amount of shaking I knew it was either a moderate earthquake relatively close by or a powerful earthquake along the New Madrid fault. Thankfully it was the former. The aftershock was about an hour ago, and my Dad felt it in his 6th floor office. I still haven't seen any news coverage about this latest tremor, as the Pope is taking top billing.

I'm happy to be back home in Ohio where it's somewhat less seismically active!

No comments: