Friday, August 10, 2007

"Climate Science"

Looking at my climatic data from last month, the temps look pretty normal for July don't they? Only 4 days over 90 degrees...not excessively hot at all.

Most of you who know me well know my opinions on global climate change. I'm not going to go on-and-on about it on this site. What I want to do, though, is share with you a very interesting blog I've found that is documenting the location of official temperature reporting sites.

To start off, let me first explain a few things. One, location of thermometers is critical for recording accurate data. When I installed my Davis weather station, the instructions were very specific on where and where not to place the sensors. Two, it is extraordinarily easy to build a warm bias into temperature recordings by misplacing sensors; it is nearly impossible to build in a cool bias. Things that build in a warm bias include placing sensors too close to asphalt, buildings, concrete, air conditioning units, direct sunlight, or things that reflect direct sunlight.

That all having been said, look at where our nation's official weather sensors, those used to feed data into the climate change models, are located: http://www.norcalblogs.com/watts/weather_stations/

No comments: